If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, then you should consider hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer in the State of Florida. It is important that you also ask the right questions during an initial consultation.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of collective experience when it comes to handling motorcycle accident cases throughout the State of Florida. Our law firm has the necessary skills and knowledge to handle your motorcycle accident case with efficiency.
If you have questions or concerns about your case, then you should speak to one of our motorcycle accident lawyers now. Our phone lines are open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week so that we can be there for you.
Contact The Law Place on (888) 346-9392 to schedule a free consultation today.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The state with the second-highest amount of motorcyclists in the United States happens to be the State of Florida. There have been 8,500 motorcycle accidents that have happened this year already, according to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department (FHSMV). It is important that you are safe when riding a motorcycle. The most common causes of motorcycle accidents tend to include:
- Blind spots.
- Drunk driving.
- Distracted driving.
- Aggressive drivers.
- Poor road conditions.
- Defective parts.
- Traffic violations.
For a free legal consultation, call 888-346-9392
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, then you must take the necessary steps to protect your legal rights in the State of Florida. Our law firm recommends that you:
- Stop – You have to stay at the scene of the motorcycle accident until the police officer arrives.
- Check for injuries – You should check yourself and everyone else for injuries after a motorcycle crash. If there are injuries, then you should call the ambulance.
- Call 911 – Florida Statute 316.062 states that you have to call the police to the location of the motorcycle accident.
- Seek medical attention – It is always best to seek medical attention as soon as possible following a motorcycle accident. There are some injuries that hide beneath the surface and do not reveal themselves until later.
- Collect information – You have a responsibility to collect the information of each driver involved in the motorcycle crash. The information includes names, phone numbers, addresses, vehicle registration numbers, and other details.
- Eyewitnesses – You should collect the contact information of the people who witnessed the motorcycle accident. ]
- Collect evidence – Try to take photographs and videos of the accident, location, road marks, injuries, motor vehicles, and more.
- Avoid statements – It is important that you avoid making a statement that could be interpreted as an admission of guilt to the police officer or to your insurance company. Do not say sorry for the motorcycle crash and do not make a statement like “I was moving too fast” or “I did not notice the other vehicle.”
- Keep a journal – You should keep a journal and write notes of your experience after the motorcycle accident.
- Call a motorcycle accident lawyer – Following a motorcycle accident, you should hire a motorcycle accident lawyer from The Law Place. A motorcycle accident lawyer will protect your legal rights and fight for the compensation that you deserve. Call our office to schedule a free consultation now.
Types of Injuries in a Motorcycle Accident
A motorcycle accident injury can range from extremely serious to minor scrapes and bruises. However, it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the case in question. The most common types of injuries that motorcyclists face tend to include:
- Fractures – Leg, arm, rib, collarbone, jaws, and skull fractures.
- Sprains – Ankle, knee, wrist, and elbow sprains.
- Dislocations – Dislocations damage the soft tissue in the joints.
- Eye injuries – It is important for all riders to wear protective eye gear to avoid an eye injury.
- Internal damage – Internal injuries or bleeding requires immediate medical attention.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – A traumatic brain injury or a head concussion is a very serious case.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
What Qualities to Look for in a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
There are a few important factors to consider during your initial consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer:
- Frequently handles cases like yours – You should choose a motorcycle accident lawyer who has experience with similar cases like yours.
- Local connection – You should choose a motorcycle accident lawyer who is local to the area of the accident because they will have a good understanding of the roads and what might have happened.
- Professionalism –You should choose a motorcycle accident lawyer who is professional and organized with their work.
- Language and culture –You should choose a motorcycle accident lawyer who can speak your language if English is not your first language. In addition, you should choose a motorcycle accident lawyer who is respectful of you and your culture so that they advocate for you.
- Communication skills –You should choose a motorcycle accident lawyer with the necessary communication skills and knowledge of motorcycle accidents.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Your First Consultation
It is completely understandable that the idea of having to hire a lawyer and the possibility of going to court can feel overwhelming. However, when you have the right motorcycle accident lawyer on your side, they will make the process easy for you. It is important that you prepare for your first consultation by following these steps:
- Contact a lawyer as soon as possible – Do not wait to contact a lawyer following an accident. The sooner that you start looking for a lawyer, the better chance you have to build a strong case.
- Be prepared to answer questions – A lawyer will want to get to know the whole picture of your case, so be ready to answer their questions. They will ask you about the series of events that led up to the accident, the bike that you ride, and other details.
- Take notes – It is worth taking notes of the lawyers that you speak to. You can bring a notepad and write down notes during the consultation.
- Ask questions – Do not be afraid to ask questions during the consultation. A lawyer is meant to be at your service.
- Cost – You should also ask the lawyer about their contingency fees. The first meeting should be a free consultation, and you should not be obligated to pay fees if you do not decide to give them your case.
Interviewing Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Background & Experience
You can start the free consultation by asking the motorcycle accident lawyer about their experience, background, and legal skills. The questions might include:
- Where did you go to law school?
- How long have you been practicing law?
- How many motorcycle accident victims do you represent every year?
- Are you a member of a bar association or another type of organization?
Legal Philosophy & Style of Offering Legal Advice
You will want to ask the motorcycle accident lawyer about their approach and style to practicing law, such as:
- What is your approach in handling motorcycle accident cases?
- How do you tend to work with clients? Will you offer options and let me decide how to proceed? Or will you tell me what to do?
- How would you describe your style as a lawyer?
Assessment of Your Motorcycle Accident Case
You will want to know how the lawyer feels about your case and whether they think that the case will be successful. Questions to ask include:
- What is your opinion of my case?
- What kind of settlement will I receive?
- Are there potential problems or delays with my case?
- Will I have to go to trial?
- What percentage of motorcycle accident cases do you settle every year?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my case?
If you believe that you have found a good lawyer for your case, then you should ask questions about how your case is going to be managed.
- Are you willing to represent me?
- Will there be other lawyers on my case?
- Will you personally manage my case, or will there be another lawyer managing it?
- Will you handle negotiations and court appearances?
- Will you have day-to-day contact with me?
- Will you provide progress reports and update me on the case?
- What is your method of communication? How quickly will you respond?
You should always ask about legal fees when you meet a lawyer, such as:
- If we do not reach a settlement or win the case, will I have to pay you?
- Do you charge a retainer fee?
- Can you explain the amount of money that I could receive after legal fees if we settle the case or if the case goes to trial?
Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Once you have met all of the lawyers on your list, it is time for you to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer to take on your case. To help you make the decision, you should ask yourself these questions:
- Which lawyer has the experience and skills to handle my case?
- Which lawyer has the best strategy?
- Which lawyer do I feel most comfortable with?
- Are the lawyer’s calculations for compensation realistic?
- Are the legal fees reasonable?
The Statute of Limitations for Making a Motorcycle Accident Claim
Every state has different laws and timelines for filing a personal injury claim. The State of Florida declares that you have four years from the date of the motorcycle accident to hire a personal injury lawyer and seek compensation under the statute of limitations. However, if someone you love died, then you have two years from the date of the motorcycle accident to hire a personal injury lawyer and recover compensation for funeral expenses, medical bills, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and more.
The statute of limitations (Florida Statute 95.11) explains the time limits for filing personal injury cases.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you or someone you know were involved in a motorcycle accident, then you should know what to ask a motorcycle accident lawyer. It is important to establish an attorney-client relationship based on trust and mutual understanding.
At The Law Place, we have over seventy-five years of combined experience and knowledge in helping motorcycle accident victims all over the State of Florida. Our law firm is ready to be of service and take on your case when you are ready.
A motorcycle accident lawyer will provide you with the support and guidance that you need during this difficult time. The phone lines to our office are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Contact The Law Place on (888) 346-9392 to schedule a free consultation today.
Call or text 888-346-9392 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form